TORONTO (February 7, 2023) – With the CFL Draft slated for May 2, combine season is approaching with the country’s top football talents looking to impress Canadian Football League (CFL) general managers, coaches and player personnel. Today, the CFL unveiled the rosters for the CFL Invitational Combine presented by New Era taking place on March 3 in Waterloo, Ont., and the CFL Combine presented by New Era in Edmonton from March 22 to 26.
CFL INVITATIONAL COMBINE PRESENTED BY NEW ERA
The CFL Invitational Combine will take place at Feridun Hamdullahpur Field House at the University of Waterloo on March 3 with players from across Canada participating. The top draft-eligible players identified in the Invitational Combine will earn their way to the main event in Edmonton.
As part of the revamped Combine Season, the CFL Invitational Combine replaces the traditional regional combines.
Key notes for CFL Invitational Combine
- Date: March 3, 2023
- City: Waterloo, Ont.
- Venue: Feridun Hamdullahpur Field House
- Roster list
- Order of testing: DBs, WRs, LBs, QBs, RBs, DL, OL
- Invitational Combine testing schedule (attached)
- 8 a.m. ET: Circuit begins
- 5:30 p.m. ET: Announcement of players invited to the CFL Combine in Edmonton
CFL COMBINE PRESENTED BY NEW ERA
In addition to the attendees who advance through the Invitational Combine, the CFL Combine will feature the top prospects eligible for the 2023 CFL Draft, as well as the top global players hoping to be selected at the 2023 CFL Global Draft. Approximately 20 international prospects from around the globe are expected to take part.
On March 21, general managers and head coaches will conduct virtual media availabilities from noon to 3 p.m. MT. A schedule will be shared in advance.
Day One of Combine will see players take part in medical testing and measurements, while Day Two will include traditional on- and off-field testing, including the 40-yard dash, the bench press and more.
Days Three to Five will be designated for practice sessions involving individual drills and one-on-ones that have been conducted in years past, and several new additions, including the pass skeleton and inside run sessions. As part of the new format, CFL coaches will lead positional groups and install offences and defences.
POSITIONAL COACHES AT CFL COMBINE
[Position | Coach (Team)]
- Offensive Coordinator & Receivers | Pete Costanza (Toronto Argonauts)
- Quarterbacks | Kelly Jeffrey (Saskatchewan Roughriders)
- Running Backs | Jarryd Baines (Hamilton Tiger-Cats)
- Offensive Line | Paul Charbonneau (Ottawa REDBLACKS) and Marty Costello (Winnipeg Blue Bombers)
- Defensive Coordinator | Dwayne Cameron (Calgary Stampeders)
- Defensive Line | Tanya Henderson (BC Lions)
- Linebackers | Noel Thorpe (Montreal Alouettes)
- Defensive Backs | Brandon Isaac (Edmonton Elks)
Key notes for CFL Combine:
- Date: March 22-26
- City: Edmonton
- National roster list
- Global roster list
- GM and Head Coach Virtual Media Availability
- Tuesday, March 21 | 12-3 p.m. MT
- CFL Combine testing schedule (attached)
MEDIA IN ATTENDANCE
Media members planning to attend the Invitational Combine and/or CFL Combine combines must RSVP to Lucas Barrett, Senior Director, Communications and Public Affairs at [email protected] at least three days prior to the event.
A media block at the Westin Edmonton is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Media planning on attending will be provided details upon submitting an RSVP.
Prospects will be available for in-person and phone interviews following the completion of all testing or combine practices. Any media members not in attendance who wish to conduct interviews must coordinate with Lucas Barrett.