Wednesday, September 21, 2016 — TORONTO (September 21, 2016) – The Canadian Football League (CFL) is hosting a nation-wide conference call with media and the quarterbacks of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Calgary Stampeders today at 3:45pm ET. The call comes ahead of the massive West Division clash on Saturday afternoon between the two teams that currently hold the longest combined winning streak in the history of the Canadian Football League.
The game will be televised on TSN, RDS2 and ESPN3 beginning at 4:00pm ET on Saturday, September 24th.
The Calgary Stampeders currently hold a nine-game winning streak and the Blue Bombers have a seven-game winning streak, combining for 16 consecutive combined wins. Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell and Blue Bombers quarterback Matt Nichols will be available for questions.
- When Calgary and Winnipeg meet on Saturday it will be the longest combined winning streak between two teams (where each team has a streak of at least 3 wins).
- Calgary holds a nine-game win streak and Winnipeg has a seven-game win streak combining for 16 cumulative consecutive wins.
- For the longest streak in the same year (i.e. streaks that did not overlap seasons) the previous record was held by Calgary and Winnipeg in Oct. 7, 1965 where Calgary entered the game with six wins in a row and Winnipeg had four wins in a row. The past record with overlapping seasons is13 set on three different occasions:
- Aug. 6, 1995 between Calgary (eight wins in a row) Baltimore (five wins in a row).
- Sept. 6, 1993 between Calgary (ten in a row) and Edmonton (three wins in a row).
- Sept. 11, 1961 Edmonton (eight win in a row) Hamilton (five wins in a row).
- During Calgary’s nine-game streak they have scored 325 points and allowed 192 – an average margin of victory of 14.8 points.
- Winnipeg’s seven-game streak has seen the Bombers score 224 points and allow 133 against – an average margin of victory of 13.0 points per game.
- Key stats during the Blue Bombers’ streak:
- Bombers have turned the ball over five times and have forced 29 turnovers, a +24 T/O ratio.
- The Bombers have also scored a total of 89 points off turnovers – 40% of their total points during their streak.
- Key stats during the Stampeders’ streak:
- In the fourth quarter and OT they have outscored their opponents 134-50.
- The Stampeders have averaged 31.6 points per game and 336 passing yards per game.
Media outlets wishing to attend must RSVP to Lucas Barrett (email@example.com) to confirm attendance.
Massive West Division clash between Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Calgary Stampeders
Wednesday, September 21, 2016
416-340-2217 / 888-789-9572
Bo Levi Mitchell, quarterback, Calgary Stampeders
Matt Nichols, quarterback, Winnipeg Blue Bombers