TORONTO (May 2, 2023) – The Canadian Football League (CFL) is pleased to welcome Dontae Bull as the first overall selection in the 2023 CFL Draft. The Ottawa REDBLACKS selected the Fresno State University offensive lineman and Victoria product.
2023 CFL DRAFT – FIRST ROUND
(Team | Position | Name | School | Hometown)
- Ottawa | OL | Dontae Bull | Fresno State | Victoria
- Edmonton | LB | Michael Brodrique | Montreal | Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac
- Saskatchewan | DL | Lake Korte-Moore | UBC | Ottawa
- Calgary | WR | Cole Tucker | Northern Illinois | DeKalb, Ill.
- Montreal | LB | Jonathan Sutherland | Penn State | Ottawa
- Hamilton | OL | Dayton Black | Saskatchewan | Brandon, Man.
- Montreal | DL | Lwal Uguak | TCU | Edmonton
- Winnipeg | DL | Anthony Bennett | Regina | Weston, Fla.
- BC | DL | Francis Bemiy | Southern Utah | Montreal
BY THE NUMBERS
- Position breakdown
- 4 – DL
- 2 – OL, LB
- 1 – WR
- School breakdown
- 5 – NCAA
- 4 – U SPORTS
AT A GLANCE
- Dontae Bull becomes the first Fresno State player ever selected in the 1st round.
- Michael Brodrique (2nd overall to Edmonton) is the highest player ever drafted out of the University of Montreal. He is the fourth player from the university to be selected in the 1st round (Antoine Pruneau, David Foucault, Junior Luke).
- Lake Korte-Moore (3rd overall) is the highest selection out of UBC since Julian Radlein in 2003 (3rd overall by HAM).
- With the selection of Cole Tucker, Calgary has used three of its last five 1st round picks on a receiver (Jalen Philpot in 2022 and Hergy Mayala 2019).
- The Saskatchewan Huskies have produced a first-round pick in four consecutive years after Dayton Black was picked sixth by Hamilton (Nathan Cherry in 2022, Nelson Lokombo in 2021 and Mattland Riley in 2020)
- Four defensive linemen were selected in the 1st round – the most since 2017 (Faith Ekakitie, Connor McGough, Randy Colling and Junior Luke).