EDMONTON (March 25, 2023) – Day Four of the Canadian Football League (CFL) Combine presented by New Era saw prospects take the field for another day of practice sessions as coaches and general managers continued their evaluations.
Days Three to Five of the new revamped five-day format involves daily practices that have traditionally been conducted in years past, as well as several new additions, including Day Four’s pass skeleton. CFL coaches from the league’s nine member clubs are leading positional groups, and installing offences and defences.
The assembled coaches will make daily picks from both sides of the ball, identifying the top prospects who stood out from their peers over the course of that day’s practice sessions. Marshall Ferguson, CFL.ca columnist and Draft Insider, will provide additional insight into the coaches’ top selections.
COACHES’ PICKS – OFFENCE
THEO GRANT | OL | QUEEN’S | HALIFAX
“He advanced from the Invitational Combine in Waterloo because of his athleticism. He’s a little bit undersized, but he has really good balance, good hand placement and he never gets pushed off his back heel. He’s a very consistent player and he has great positional flexibility – they have used him at right tackle, guard on both sides, and he’s taken some snaps at centre.”
– Marshall Ferguson
- Willy-Pierre Dimbongi | WR | Ottawa | Ottawa
- Adam Williams | RB | Toronto | Oshawa, Ont.
COACHES’ PICKS – DEFENCE
MICHAEL BRODRIQUE | LB | MONTREAL | SAINT-MARTHE-SUR-LE-LAC, QUE.
“He’s so strong. When he plays with physicality, it’s a challenge for offensive players to match up with him. If he was to do an inside run period in a setup like this, he would absolutely dominate. Teams around the league right now are buzzing about what he has shown from testing and the on-field portion. As we start to ramp up to 12-on-12 on the final day, I think he will continue to standout.”
– Marshall Ferguson
- Lucas Cormier | DB | Mount Allison | Sackville, N.B.
- Aidan John | DL | Saint Mary’s | Halifax
POSITIONAL COACHES AT CFL COMBINE
- Offensive Coordinator & Receivers | Pete Costanza (Toronto Argonauts)
- Quarterbacks | Kelly Jeffrey (Saskatchewan Roughriders)
- Running Backs | Jarryd Baines (Hamilton Tiger-Cats)
- Offensive Line | Paul Charbonneau (Ottawa REDBLACKS) and Marty Costello (Winnipeg Blue Bombers)
- Defensive Coordinator | Dwayne Cameron (Calgary Stampeders)
- Defensive Line | Tanya Henderson (BC Lions)
- Linebackers | Noel Thorpe (Montreal Alouettes)
- Defensive Backs | Brandon Isaac (Edmonton Elks)
SCHEDULE: SATURDAY, MARCH 25
Commonwealth Stadium Field House
- 9 – 11:30 a.m. | Team practice, individual drills, pass skeleton and 12-on-12