TORONTO (May 3, 2022) – The Canadian Football League (CFL) is proud to welcome Tyrell Richards as the first overall pick in the 2022 CFL Draft. The Montreal Alouettes traded up to select the Syracuse linebacker and Brampton, Ont., product.
Coverage of the 2022 CFL Draft continues on TSN and RDS – Canada’s home of the CFL. Rounds 3-8 can be seen live on tsn.ca and the TSN app.
2022 CFL DRAFT – FIRST ROUND SELECTIONS
(Team | Position | Name | School | Hometown)
- Montreal | LB | Tyrell Richards | Syracuse University | Brampton, Ont.
- Ottawa | OL | Zach Pelehos | University of Ottawa | Gananoque, Ont.
- BC | DL | Nathan Cherry | University of Saskatchewan | Saskatoon, Sask.
- Edmonton | DB | Enock Makonzo | Coastal Carolina University | LaChine, Que.
- Calgary | WR | Jalen Philpot | University of Calgary | Delta, B.C.
- Toronto | OL | Gregor MacKellar | St. Francis Xavier University | Timberlea, N.S.
- Saskatchewan | WR | Samuel Emilus | Louisiana Tech University | Montreal
- Edmonton | QB | Tre Ford | University of Waterloo | Niagara Falls, Ont.
- Montreal | WR | Tyson Philpot | University of Calgary | Delta, B.C.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Positional breakdown
- WR – 3
- OL – 2
- LB, DL, DB, QB – 1
- Provincial breakdown
- Ontario – 3
- B.C., Quebec – 2
- Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia – 1
- School breakdown
- USPORTS – 6
- NCAA – 3
FIRST ROUND AT A GLANCE
- Move on up: In 2020, Ottawa traded the first overall selection to Calgary for Nick Arbuckle. Calgary subsequently sent the pick to BC, who selected LB Jordan Williams. The East Carolina University product went on to win Most Outstanding Rookie honours at the 2021 CFL Awards.
- Cuse connection: Tyrell Richards joins OL Steve Scully (1975) as the only Syracuse University players to be selected first overall. Richards becomes the fourth Syracuse player to be drafted in the first round, following Scully, LB Marc Pilon (No. 4 in 1998) and K Bernie Ruoff (No. 8 in 1975).
- Double Dipping: The Montreal Alouettes held the first overall selection in both the CFL Global Draft and the CFL Draft. Both picks were used to select players from Syracuse: Richards and defensive end Kingsley Jonathan.
- Rarity from uOttawa: Zach Pelehos at No. 2 represents the highest selection for a player from the University of Ottawa since DT Dave Kirzinger was drafted first overall by Calgary in 1978.
- Dinos roar: The Philpot twins are the 16th and 17th University of Calgary players to be selected in the first round in the past 17 years. Their selections also mark the fifth time since 2011 that the university has produced multiple first round picks.
- East Coast represent: Gregor MacKellar is the first Atlantic University Sport (AUS) Conference player to be drafted in the first round since 2016, and just the fourth since 2010, joining Brian Jones (No. 4 to Toronto in 2016), Devon Bailey (No. 6 to Edmonton in 2014) and Henoc Muamba (No. 1 to Winnipeg in 2011).
- QB in One: At No. 8, Tre Ford is the highest QB selection since Sheldon Paris went seventh overall to Edmonton in 1980.
- Receiving corps: The last time three or more receivers were selected in the first round was in 2011 with No. 3 Anthony Parker, No. 4 Jade Etienne, No. 5 Nate Coehoorn and No. 6 Marco Iannuzzi.